Saturday, May 06, 2006

NEVER TAKE ADVICE FROM THE MOM OF A GRADUATING SENIOR

I was commiserating with a friend about an arbitrary and capricious rule at our high school that looked as though it was really going to hurt her child. It’s a long story, but it looks like she is going to lose half credit for a class because of too many absences, even though she has turned in all the assignments and has a good grade going.

This youngster is a freshman. Her mom has several more years of getting along with the educrats ahead of her, and didn’t want to mess this up so that they’d hate her and make things difficult for her child.

“I’m so worried!” she confided. “What should I say? What will work?”

Our daughter graduates in a few days, and I’m a cynical, grizzled old veteran of situations like this. I don’t care about my reputation at that school anymore. I told her:

“Forget trying to persuade them rationally. Do the only thing that’s guaranteed to work. WEAR A BLACK LEATHER JACKET WITH NOTHING UNDER IT, AND HAVE IT UNZIPPED DOWN TO YOUR NAVEL.”

A few seconds on the clock ticked by before she knew for sure that I was kidding.

Ah, these younger moms . . . and ohhhh, brother . . . if these educrats only KNEW!!!

No comments: