Thursday, May 25, 2006

THE LOCUSTS CAME THROUGH

Far be it from me to refer to our friends, relatives and neighbors as “locusts.” But they swarmed to Eden’s graduation party the other night and ate us out of house and home.

They stripped the 100-piece shrimp plate clean in minutes. They devoured the festive skewers of chicken satay, and the 50 pungent barbecued riblets. They ate two huge pans of chicken flautas and a vat of specialty salsa. They even ate the jalapeno garnishes.

Furthermore, the freezer had been bursting with 80 individual raspberry-chocolate desserts, made by me at about 2 a.m. the night before, but about halfway through the party, they had vanished, too. I think I saw someone picking up the empty plate of chocolate-dipped strawberries and licking it.

Now, we had filler foods, like salad and veggie dip. But with an hour to go in the party, the formerly-groaning buffet table was now looking a little like the last day of school at 3:35 p.m.

Panicking, I opened the fridge to see if we had any everyday foods that were suitable for putting out. I had just picked up an age-old box of fish sticks when my friend caught my eye, winked, and tipped back her head to laugh.

Thanks a lot! No, not for ridiculing me for considering serving fish sticks. I saw the last of the jalapeno garnishes between her teeth!

No comments: