Tuesday, August 16, 2005

WEDDING ANNOUNCEMENTS

One of the most pleasant things that happened this summer is that I met someone who helped me make $75 many years ago with a funny headline. You see, Claudia Black was marrying a man whose last name was Coffey. I was a summer intern at the local daily paper, bored to tears writing headlines on what I called “en-GAG-ment” stories. I saw their names, and this headline popped into my head:

Black-Coffey Rite
Brewing For June


Hardy-har-har! Well, an alert reader sent it in to the Reader’s Digest, and I made $75, the newspaper made $75, and the alert reader made $75.

Well, this summer, I wrote a story about a friend of theirs, and she remembered my name and got in touch with me. We all had a good laugh about it – only I deeply regret that I left the newspaper before the guy’s cousin got married. Why? Because the cousin’s last name is also Coffey – and he married a girl named BEANS!!!!

Dang! The possibilities!

So when a friend sent this rather risqué email, I couldn’t resist sending it on to you. Today’s prayer request, I guess, is that I will develop some COUTH in my old age (Proverbs 11:22).
In the meantime, enjoy!

(Listserv members received about 20 wedding and engagement stories with headlines that had double entendres and slapstick humor)

No comments: