Thursday, August 25, 2005

A LITTLE HAND-HOLDING DID THE TRICK

Maddy’s first day of kindergarten was just like everybody said: totally great, and awfully sweet.

She insisted on bringing an apple for her new teacher, who is about 25 years my junior, but with a brilliant smile and a nurturing attitude. I loved seeing “Phonics” as the second thing on that daily schedule, too.

Maddy knows one other girl in the class of 16, but Kaylin was visiting with two other girls when we arrived. Kaylin didn’t see her, so Maddy stood alone, all shy. Then Kaylin turned, saw Maddy, grinned, and ran over to her.

What Maddy did next told me she is going to be all right: she took Kaylin’s hand. The two of them walked, hand in hand, down the hall to their kindergarten classroom, with their big backpacks bobbing. It was like a Hallmark card.

What was left OUT of the scene was me, jumping and clicking my heels in joy and relief for getting her this far! Just kidding: I had a lump in my throat the size of a watermelon. It was a wonderful day.

------------------------------------------------

Prayer request: My Uncle Dave is in crisis, struggling for breath, as his long battle with emphysema might be coming to an end. He fell and broke a rib, and I know from having that happen this past summer that it’s hard to breathe with all that swelling. For him, it might be becoming impossible. Father, we commend Dave’s strong, funny and beautiful spirit into Your hands. We pray that You will lift him up and over the pain and fear, bringing him to You with a minimum of suffering, and that his four children will get a chance to say goodbye, if it be Your will to take him now. We always called him “Uncle Ace.” Lord, thank You for his life. (Luke 4:10)

No comments: