Friday, August 26, 2005

DIVERSITY IS SO . . . DIVERSE

Every time I’ve come in to Maddy’s new kindergarten, which is in a private Christian school, I have had to look down, concentrate, and mutter, “Don’t say anything crass. Don’t swear. Don’t say _____________!”

Well, not really. But I was wondering what it would be like at a Christian school -- whether it would be boring and homogenous, with everybody pretty much the same.

NOT! There’s a wide range of ages among the parents, as I’ve already lamented, and both fancy cars and beaters in the parking lot. There are homemakers with babies and hard-charging career men and women. There are a couple of kids from different races in Maddy’s class, and I’m sure there’s a wide range of special needs among the 500-plus kids.

And even though the atmosphere is Christian, there’s plenty of diversity in that realm, too. On the first day, I noticed another mother who was wearing one of those white Amish bonnets, a flowered dress that looked hand-crafted, and old-fashioned lace-up shoes. I thought, “Oh, boy! A Quaker! I’ve never been this close to a Quaker before, except at the Living History Farms or the Amana Colonies. I wonder if they drove up in a horse and buggy, and make their own soap and stuff.”

Instantly, I looked down, concentrated, and muttered, “Don’t say anything crass. Don’t swear. Don’t say _______.”

All of a sudden, the lady in the 17th Century bonnet took out a really fancy schmancy digital camera, and starting snapping pix of her little boy, with a great, big smile.

Hey, Pilgrim! That’s diversity!

------------------------------------------------

Prayer request: We continue to lift up my wonderful Uncle Dave, who has been battling emphysema and is in a hospital ICU after breaking a rib in a fall and experiencing horrendous trouble breathing. Doctors predicted he wouldn’t make it through the night, but he did. Praise You, Father, that all four kids made it home and enjoyed a strong dose of their father’s humor and leadership. He asked the doctor, for example: “Am I on first base? Am I on second base? Am I going home?” and the doctor replied, “You’re still swinging!” and then Dave shot back, “Oh, really? Well, can I cancel the flower order?” However, the situation is still very difficult for all of them. Breath of Life, we pray that You will take this believer home in Your timing with a minimum of suffering, surrounded by love. (Psalm 5:12)

No comments: