Wednesday, August 24, 2005

SLICK TRICKS FOR AVOIDING TEACHER CALLS

Maddy goes off to kindergarten this afternoon – hyperventilating with excitement in her blue and green plaid jumper, white blouse and Hello Kitty underwear. My only hope is that she NOT show off the latter to the boys, no matter HOW new and pretty her undies are. We need to avoid making THAT kind of a first impression, especially at a Christian school.

My lament about being the oldest mother by far, dealing with a teacher about the age of my first-born, has been met with tons of encouragement from my fellow older mothers. One wrote about her son’s kindergarten teacher, who was “about four-foot nothing and didn't look much older than her class members.” Here’s what happened:

“She called me one day to say, ‘Mrs. _____, I think you might want to have a talk with Christopher.’ Immediately my thought was: MY little darling? In TROUBLE?!? Curiosity got the best of me, so I replied quite innocently, ‘Why?’ She replied, ‘I've noticed that he has a problem with reversing his numbers. I thought you might want to know he is going around telling everyone you are 54!’

“I thought for a minute, and used some of the wisdom my advanced age had provided, replying, ‘Oh, that's OK. They probably think I look really GREAT for 54!’

“Then the second call came. ‘Mrs. _____, I think we have a problem. Did you know Christopher thinks he is . . . one-half DOG?’ I thought for a moment and then replied, ‘Oh, that's OK. He gets that part from his FATHER'S side!’

“I think then Mrs. N may have suspected where the REAL problem could be found. No more calls after that.”

It gave me new hope for surviving the school year. Old age, cunning and stealth will defeat youth and vigor, every time!

------------------------------------------------

Prayer request: We are grateful that Maddy will receive a great education, starting today, but most of all, that it will be a Christian education. The older I get, Lord, the more I see that it isn’t the intellectual side that needs schooling so much, it’s the heart side. May Maddy be a star pupil in Your Word and Your ways, and pass the ultimate test of loving and believing in You . . . and may she give and receive a whole lot of joy in the process. (Philippians 4:9)

No comments: