Monday, September 06, 2004

BEETS ME

Happy Labor Day! Take a minute to pat yourself on the back today for all the work you do throughout the year. Be happy for all those who are happy in their work.

But remember, just as the grass is always greener on the other side, the BEETS are always bigger.

My big work project this summer has been “The North One-Fortieth,” my first big vegetable garden. My brother-in-law has been coming over and doing most of the work, but I did have say-so in a few of the things we planted. And I wanted beets.

So we had beets, lovely beets, lots of beets, enough for three or four nice batches of pickled beets with lovely cinnamon and other secret spices. They were a hit.

THEN I looked in the small-town newspaper that I get because they run my columns. My balloon was busted by a lady holding a THREE-POUND BEET. It was as big as her head!

It was 10 times the size of any beets from my garden. Not only that, but the caption under the photo said that the world’s largest beet was grown in Alaska and topped the scales at more than 42 pounds.

I’ve been left in the dust! I’ll just have to work harder next year – better soil, better seeds, better agriculture – better beets.

Women’s work and gardeners’ work is never done. Why is that? Beets me.

--------------------------

Prayer request: Even though it was rainy and yesterday’s special wedding in our neighborhood had to be moved inside the church by our pond, it was a beautiful ceremony for Raquel and Frank. Best of all was the enormous double rainbow set off by purple clouds, captivating from the veranda of the reception. You don’t get a rainbow on a sunny day! That’s something to remember in marriage: things don’t always go the way we plan, but sometimes, what looks like a negative turns into a really big positive. Lord, thanks for blessing us all with Your incomparable beauty in such a meaningful way. Rainbows come when the Light of the World waters our souls with the Word of Life. It doesn’t get any better than that. (Genesis 9:13)

No comments: