Tuesday, September 27, 2005

A LOW-TECH SOLUTION

OK, so I’m a dummkopf. I came home Friday night, checked my email, and discovered a scary, big message on my computer screen: “FATAL SYSTEM ERROR.”

AAAIIEEE!!! CYBERHOMICIDE!!!

All day, I had been getting messages that a PUP – Potentially Unwanted Program – was trying to get in to my system, and couldn’t be removed. I had blown off the warnings because I was busy. Now, this.

I did what any self-respecting adult of the modern-day world would do: I winced, shut it off, and went to bed.

Next morning, I called my computer guru. But of course, it was a weekend, so he didn’t return the call. I suffered Saturday, Sunday and Monday, unconnected, drifting, descending into a state of cyberlessness.

Actually, it was great – we took Maddy to the Care Bears Live show and an indoor swimming pool, I got a lot of housework done, and best of all, I could relax and focus last night at the final softball game of the regular season. Our senior centerfielder Eden slammed a three-run triple – KABOOM! – that was the difference in the game. There were college scouts there and she got her name in the paper and everything. I am positive she hit it because her grandma and two couples who are dear family friends came to see her play. Surely it didn’t have anything to do with that person of the BOY persuasion in the front row.

Anyway, this morning, my adorable nephew, the computer engineer who just became an Air Force officer, was on the phone. I whined about my computer’s untimely death to him. He mildly said, “Did you try unplugging it from the wall for a few seconds?”

Nooooo. So I did. And presto! It sprang back to life! It’s a miracle!

Or maybe it’s stupidity. Thanks, Lt. Mark. You hit a triple, too!

------------------------------------------------

Prayer request: Lord, we lift up a wife named Sadie, whose loving husband has asked for prayer that You would move in her heart to go to counseling with him. Father, repentance and the seeking of forgiveness are sure signs of Your work in his heart. We know that it is Your will that these two work this out, and we know that You are closest of all to those who are crushed in spirit, as this husband appears to be. We pray that his desire for reconciliation would reignite her heart’s flame as well. Awesome God, make an unmistakeable move to restore their marriage and their family. (Psalm 34:18)

No comments: