Tuesday, September 06, 2005

GREEN BANANAS

My handsome and wonderful Uncle Dave has passed away at 77, and his funeral is planned for Thursday. Emphysema is a crummy disease, and his last year was not without suffering. But his bravery and sense of humor sustained his four adult children and extended family until the end, and onward.

I love how he teased his doctor in his very last days and hours about how much time had left. One day, the doctor said he was doing a little better, and Dave rapidly fired off these questions:

“So I can cancel the flower order?”

“So I shouldn’t give up my football tickets?”

“So I can start buying green bananas?”

He was a believer, so he’s enjoying perfectly-ripe, celestial bananas as we speak . . . surrounded by the most awesome flowers imaginable, at a Husker game where there are never any fumbles or fourth-down sacks.

Have fun up there, Uncle Ace. And save me a seat by you. Your one-liners are part of my eternal reward.

------------------------------------------------

Prayer request: We lift up my four cousins and their families for special TLC during this difficult week as they lay their father and grandfather to rest. May the stories and scriptures we’ll share inspire the grandchildren to love Christ and serve Him all the days of their lives. (Psalms 27:4)

No comments: