Monday, September 05, 2005

DER WEINERSCHLINGER NOSEJOB

On Thursday, the softball concession stand of which I’m in charge distributed more than 200 free hot dogs. I vowed that I never wanted to see another hot dog again.

On Friday, I took Maddy and a friend to the pool for two hours and caught them at the bottom of the water slide. I got a reddish sunburn on my schnozz.

On Saturday, we went to the Husker football game. I was sitting there minding my own business when ‘way down below by the field came the Der Weinerschlinger guy. He has rigged up a cannon that can shoot hot dogs from ground level up into the cheap seats. It’s the highlight of the game, for many people, to try to catch one.

Well, one came right toward us. I didn’t even reach for it, since I was so sick of hot dogs at that point. But I craned my neck skyward to see where it would land.

It landed two rows up . . . but the guy right behind me leaped for it, missed, and brought his hand down – SMACK! – right on top of my uplifted sunburned nose.

It hurt. But not that bad. I told him I knew my nose was sunburned, but I didn’t know it was so red it looked like a hot dog. And I told him I wished our pass receivers would put as much effort into trying to catch a football as he had in trying to catch that hot dog.

------------------------------------------------

Prayer request: Father, we are thankful to hear about so many rescue efforts in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina. Let each of us search our hearts and ask You to show us a way we can help be Your hands and feet in this terrible tragedy. (Proverbs 16:3)

No comments: