Tuesday, March 15, 2005

TEN TIMES THE MOTHER

Maddy turns 5 today, and in a few months, I will hit the Big 5-0. Therefore, I will be 10 times as old as my youngest child.

I realize that can be fairly common for those who have their children really young – the 2-year-old and the 20-year-old mother, and the 3-year-old with the mom who’s 30.

But I bet our 5-50 combination is about the oldest expression of this phenomenon that’s around.

I wish it meant that I am 10 times as mature, intelligent and well-behaved as my daughter. But I’ll reserve those praises for my own mother – only to quickly add that nooooo, she is NOT almost 500 years old – she doesn’t look a day over 29 1/2.

----------------------------

Prayer request: Lord, we thank You for Maddy’s excellent health, for her sparkle, her freckles, her sense of humor, her curiosity, her interest in books, her fascination with nature, and most of all, for the way she’s a unique reflection of Your love and is always thinking about You. Yesterday, she asked me, “Why did God make the leprechauns?” May she always seek to know You, even if her questions are unconventional. Father, thank You for this precious birthday girl, and give me strength as I continue to be challenged by old-age motherhood. (Psalm 27:1)

No comments: