Tuesday, March 29, 2005

FEARLESSLY, HAIRLESSLY HELPING CANCER KIDS

This is the cutest thing I’ve ever heard of: my adorable and wonderful nephew Dr. Jeff Darst is going to shave his head to raise money for the treatment of kids with cancer.

Please go to this webpage, and don’t worry, it’s a wig:

http://www.stbaldricks.org/ShaveePhoto.asp?SolNumber=15323639

Here’s what Jeff wrote to family and friends, asking for them to “sponsor” his upcoming baldness for this good cause:

“At the risk of being further confused with actor Vin Diesel (with my low manly voice, my big manly muscles, my millions of manly dollars), I'm shaving my head. Yes, my golden, Fabio-like locks are getting clipped off.

“I, along with 9 other pediatric residents here in Portland, are taking part in a fundraiser called St. Baldricks. It raises money for children's cancer research by collecting donations in the names of the ‘shavees.’ The money raised is of course great, but our favorite part is that the kids who've lost their hair undergoing chemo think it's pretty funny that the doctors lose their hair, too. We'll do the shaving here at the hospital, so a few of the cancer patients can wield the clippers.

“Your next question is ‘What do (wife) Alyson and (daughter) Ashleigh think of this?’ Alyson, to her credit, stifles a snicker and says something to the effect of, ‘If that's what you want to do, Honey. . . ." Then she diverts her eyes, obviously picturing me as a cue ball. Ashleigh has been a bit more ‘vocal’ on the topic. As if I was not lame enough already . . . this takes the cake. She can't decide if this is the perfect chance to make bald jokes or if she's so appalled she wants to move out.

“You can follow along at
www.stbaldricks.org The easiest way to find us is by clicking on ‘Teams’ and scrolling down to ‘Dr. Nick Riviera and Associates,’ which is our team name. If you want to make a donation in the name of my soon-to-be-shiny noggin, you can do that by clicking on my picture (which, incidentally, exaggerates my current hairstyle in the name of Bo Duke). If you don't donate, you can still check it out. There will be an ‘after’ picture that goes with the ‘before’ picture, so you'll get to see my lumpy skull either way. We'll probably be doing this the 2nd week of April, exact date to be determined.”

So that’s Jeff. My genetic material . . . shared with a person who’s the body double of Famous Hairheads Fabio and Bo Duke, soon to add Chrome Domes Vin Diesel and Mr. Clean to that list?!?

I couldn’t help but donate. Anything less would be . . . balderdash.

------------------------------

Praise Report: Thank You, Father, that the beloved, missing prodigal son David called his mother on Easter and asked her to come to his faraway city to help him find a place to live, a job, and so forth. It is good that he realizes he needs help. She leaves this morning. We pray that he will go back on his meds or come home to live with her. Strengthen and protect David’s mother, Lord, as she has a heart condition. Thank You for hearing our prayers and strengthening this family’s trust in You. (Jeremiah 33:3)

No comments: