Sunday, March 27, 2005

ANNOUNCING . . . www.DailySusan.com
A website full of features and fun for the whole darn family!
Visit, subscribe, and tell your friends.
Happy Easter, everyone, and God bless you!

----------------------


TINGLE METER


And as they went to tell his disciples, behold,
Jesus met them, saying, All hail.
And they came and held him by the feet, and worshipped him.
-- Matthew 28:9

I’ve got a “tingle meter.” It goes “tilt” when wonderful things happen.

It tingles big on Christmas and Easter, when the old hymns are sung, the candles glow, and the promises in the Word jump out and hug me.

I get tingles whenever I hear about people overcoming obstacles, forgiving harmful deeds, and loving each other – as our youngest says, “the way we’re ‘posed to.”

Today, my tingle meter is on “turbo.” It’s because of what’s about to happen to a young, unwed mother who recently wobbled to the brink of having an abortion. Fortunately, a wise mentor from her church helped her see that wiping out her baby’s life wasn’t the answer. She decided to keep the child.

The baby’s father is not there for her, so she’s been working 60 hours a week, saving up. A place to live and an affordable car have materialized. She has had good prenatal care, since she is at risk for complications. The ultrasound pictures show a beautiful baby boy. He’s due around June 1.

I’m sure she’s feeling alone this Easter Sunday, worshipping among the picture-perfect families, worrying about the challenges to come.

That’s why my tingle meter is going off, imagining her receiving her surprise baby shower gifts from some anonymous angels today.

See, a group of us found out about her plight, and chipped in. She will receive a Target card for $500 to spend as needed. There are also books and clothes, and a scrapbook with cards from strangers she will never meet . . . but who love her, anyway.

Their messages are sweet:

“You made God very happy when you made your decision to keep your baby boy. I’m sure you know it will not be an easy task, but with faith and trust in your Heavenly Father, you will do just great.”

“You are my hero and I pray for you and your little one daily.”

“I shall add this young lady to the prayers we say daily for all pregnant mothers and for all those who chose abortion, that they would find healing and a better path in the future.”

Some sent emails; others wrote in feminine script on fine papers. Many sent comforting Bible verses:

Not as man sees does God see, because man sees the appearance, but the Lord looks into the heart. -- 1 Samuel 16:7

Though my father and my mother have forsaken me, but the Lord will take me up. -- Psalm 27:10

For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the Lord, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you an expected end. – Jeremiah 29:11

One quoted Alfred, Lord Tennyson: “More things are wrought by prayer than this world dreams of. Wherefore, let thy voice rise like a fountain for me night and day.”

One wrote about another unwed mother she knew who’d had to go on welfare, but has since become an RN and built a good life with her child, now 13. “I guess I’m saying she made it . . . and you can, too.”

They all gave me tingles. But this one made me cry:

“I helped my sister get an abortion 26 years ago. God has forgiven me for that sin. I feel deep in my heart His forgiveness, yet not a day goes by that I do not think of my niece or nephew who is in heaven. . . . Hold your sweet child with a heart of NO REGRETS – that gift will be overwhelming to you then.”

Oh, the shower of love that’s pouring out on that girl today, through these sisters in Christ she didn’t know she had.

Oh, the joy that comes to those who heed the Savior’s words: “Love one another.” That’s all. Just love. Just like Jesus. Just do it.

May it be a great blessing to this young woman and her son, always. May it give her tingles.

Just like Easter . . . the way it’s ‘posed to.

------------------------------

Prayer Request: On this day of miracles and comebacks, Father, we lift up to you everyone who is suffering and desperately needs the saving grace of Your Son Jesus Christ to overcome and triumph. We pray especially for Terri Schiavo and her family and all those associated with that case. Lord, we ask that hearts would be softened toward Your will and Your ways, and that everyone would put aside their own opinions, and value and affirm life, no matter what. (Mark 16:16)

No comments: