Monday, April 17, 2006

WITH A BANG

Highlights from an Easter weekend that was as nice as I can ever remember: my adorable (and available, girls) nephew Mark is a computer engineer with the Air Force stationed in Albuquerque. He came home for the holiday. I hadn’t seen him for many months and loved hearing about his many adventures and experiences.

My favorite two factoids were these:

1) He has a friend who was honored as the best graduate of his officers’ training group and is now fighting for us over in Iraq. His last name is “Bang.” I can imagine his platoon: Sgt. Boom, Cpl. Rat-a-tat-tat, and Private Kapow.

2) Mark has had to go out into the New Mexico desert to train to find mines in the sand. This was extremely scary to hear, until he informed us that they aren’t “live.” So there isn’t any danger at all. “It’s kind of like a big Easter egg hunt, without the candy payoff,” he said.

Yeah, well, until I hear those are just jelly beans the other side’s shooting at us, I’m going to worry – at least a little.

No comments: