Tuesday, April 11, 2006

THE POST OFFICE AND BAD PR

As we near Tax Day, government spending comes to the forefront. After all, it’s why we have to pay taxes. So naturally, we want government spending to be as low as possible.

So I was half mad and half amused standing in a long line at the post office yesterday. There, along the long counter, were not one, not two – but FIVE – count ‘em – FIVE little hinged doors where you could throw your trash, each hiding a trash can that was gold-plated and diamond-studded, no doubt.

Not that anybody ever HAS any trash in the post office line, except maybe some litsy bitsy strands of stick-em paper left over from separating stamps. But just in case . . . our public servants gave us FIVE snazzy-looking, well-marked places to throw it.

And what was even more maddening and amusing was that they didn’t have the word “TRASH” or even “RECYCLING” on the little doors you pushed in. Noooooo. This government office had a no good, very bad word on each of the five trash receptacles, considering that this was our tax dollars at work:

WASTE!

So I’m standing there, in a building purchased with my hard-earned tax dollars, with Tax Day coming near, and moths flying out of my wallet, and I’m seeing . . .

WASTE! WASTE! WASTE! WASTE! WASTE!

I mean, it looked like they were celebrating it!

Next time I go there, I’m bringing some Scotch tape and five little pieces of paper to put above the “W” word on each one. They will say, “DON’T YOU GUYS DARE!”

No comments: