Tuesday, November 08, 2005

DRUMS UP

Everybody in our musical family can play at least one instrument. For the boys in our family, the louder, the better. My little brother Danny especially liked the drums and got an elaborate drumset one Christmas.

My dad’s friends thought it was fun to come over to our house and try it out. Midlife crisis, I guess. They thought it was great; of course, they didn’t have to live with the noise 24/7. Well, one friend in particular was annoying about it, until one night when up his driveway came a moving van . . . and in the back was Danny, seated at his drumset, playing it for all he was worth!

I think Dad’s attempt to adopt Danny out during his drum-playing phase came to naught. But I was reminded of the strong connection between little boys and drums yesterday while volunteering in the kindergarten classroom.

Buck, who is all boy, was making his “I” book with icicles, ink, an inchworm . . . and instruments. There was a drawing of a saxophone, clarinet, trumpet and such for him to color. I asked him what instrument he would like to play someday.

“I’m going to play CONCUSSION,” he replied.

You got that right, kid.

No comments: