Tuesday, August 10, 2004

WHADDYA WANT, A GIRLIE MAN OR BAD CAULK?

A wryly complaining email from a friend reminded me of my husband’s two past caulk jobs. One was in the master bathroom of our first house, and the other was on the driveway. Both jobs looked exactly the same: big, thick, icky blobs of tar-like goo that you just didn’t even want to come near. Instead of a straight line, it looked like fossilized throw-up from a deranged giant squirrel. Or something.

Well, this friend is going through the same thing. Here she is with a brand-new back deck. I mean, minutes old. And he goes out there and makes a six-foot caulk line right down the side of the house, where the deck begins. We’re not talking just a small bead down the side of the door -- but six feet of what she describes as “looking like it came out of the behind of our 110-pound dog.”

She added, “Good thing the neighbors couldn't hear my expletives.’’

So, as she has to do with anything that involves fine-motor skills, she did it over . . . and it looks nice.

This is one of those husbands who is meek and mild, yet is well-muscled, with practically superhuman strength. He owns all kinds of boy-toys and tools that he’s constantly out messing around with. I swear there’s a testosterone cloud over their house.

But I have to agree with her: real men don’t eat quiche, and they CERTAINLY can’t caulk.

-----------------------------

Prayer request: I’ve just heard about someone I know whose new granddaughter was born with Down’s Syndrome. Father, equip me to be a source of love and strength. Teach me how to be a blessing as Your messenger to this family, as this precious baby grows. (1 John 3:11)

No comments: