Thursday, August 19, 2004

THE BENT-ARM HANG

Have you been enjoying the Olympics? Since I used to be a swimmer, I’ve loved those races, though I realize that, in the time it would take me to come out of my initial dive and start my first stroke, they’d be ‘’touching end zone.”

I’ve also loved watching Paul Hamm, the baby-faced gymnast with the sides of hams for arms. I had to smile when I heard him speak: for all that musculature, he sounds as though he’s been inhaling helium. But boy, what an accomplishment, coming from 12th place to the gold medal with two fantastic routines.

I’d have been right there with him if it hadn’t been for the bent-arm hang. That’s right: in grade school, all you had to do was grasp an overhead bar, pull your chin over it, and hold it there, with your arms bent, for, like, two seconds. Along with several other phys ed stunts, if you could do the bent-arm hang, you could win a Presidential Fitness Medal or something like that.

I could never do the bent-arm hang. I could only do the hang. It changed my life. I made sure to choose a career that had NOTHING to do with arm strength. I basically took my place with the wussies of the world.

On the other hand, if they’d had the ‘’bent-finger typing’’ award, I’d have been RIGHT in there. When it comes to typing, I’m a JOCK. But that’s about it.

--------------------------

Prayer request: We joyously report that both our daughters arrived safely and happily in their college apartments, and also that our friend Betty got good results from her lymph node test that we prayed about last week. Thank You, Jesus, for this good news. (Psalm 128:5)


No comments: