Sunday, August 29, 2004

EYES OF THE HEART

And it shall come to pass afterward, that I will pour out my spirit upon all flesh; and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, your old men shall dream dreams, your young men shall see visions. . . .
-- Joel 2:28

Maddy dreamed I was a hen the other night, chasing around after her going ‘’Bawk! Bawk! Bawk!’’

That sounds more like real life than a dream. Yes, I’m an old mother hen, and she’s a cute little chick.

Funny how much dreams tell us what’s going on with us. That must be why we all love to talk about them so much.

But there’s another form of mental movie you don’t often hear about:

Visions. Waking dreams.

People who’ve never had one may think those who have are one Froot Loop short of a bowl, or ‘’on’’ something. But visions are real. They’re how you see with the eyes of your heart.

At our last summer Bible study session the other day, I was elated when two women told about theirs, boldly and matter-of-factly.

One had been at a low point in her life. She called out to Jesus in despair. Suddenly, it was as if she was in His arms, held over His heart, cuddled like a baby. Comfort and protection flowed through her. Then poof! The vision ended.

The other woman had just been given a big assignment. She didn’t think she was up to it. She prayed: ‘’Oh, Lord, I’m not able to do this, but I know You’re able. Show me Your strength so I won’t be afraid.’’ Suddenly, she saw an enormous pair of feet right in front of her, with a body stretching up into infinity . . . and then poof! It was gone.

Those women said they could never have crafted those images on their own . . . never expected them . . . never asked for them.

That’s how it is for me. Take the day it suddenly hit me how many people in my life don’t yet know Jesus. ‘’Oh, Lord,’’ I prayed, ‘’help me introduce them to You.’’

All of a sudden, I was standing in a bowling alley. On the other end were faces of people on top of bowling pins. In my hands was the Word of God. If I rolled it toward them, it would ‘’bowl them over’’ so they’d come to Christ.

Naturally, I had to ruin it. ‘’But Lord,’’ I whined, ‘’I’m a terrible bowler! You know that! All I ever get is gutter balls!’’

Poof! The vision changed.

Now I was standing in front of an archery target, holding a gigantic bow that stretched ‘way over my head. On the target were the faces of people I knew. The arrows I’d be shooting were messages from the Bible. Again, I protested.

‘’Lord! You saw the sorry results of my attempt at archery in Rocky Mountain National Park! The arrows fell, like, five feet in front of me! I SUCK at this!’’

Suddenly, I felt this immensely strong and calm power behind me, as if giant arms were wrapped around me, holding that bow . . . straightening the wobbling arrow . . . taking perfect aim . . . pulling the taut cord back effortlessly. . . .

. . . and all I had to do was stand there. He would do the rest. I was thrilled.

Poof! I ‘’got it,’’ and the vision was gone.

But not the meaning.

When you’re scared, overwhelmed or unsure, if all you have to rely on is your five senses, things will be tough. But if you can see beyond them, obstacles melt away.

How can the woman who was cuddled ever feel alone and afraid again?

How can the woman who saw His infinite strength ever doubt His power?

And I learned that it doesn’t matter if you suck. Just that you try.

He’s not looking for All-Stars. He IS the All-Star. All we have to do is join the team.

And when you take aim with the eyes of your heart at a target that counts, He’ll help you roll strikes or hit the bull’s eye, every time.


-------------------------------------------------

Prayer request: We lift up to You today all those who are tired and hurting and afraid and confused. Oh, Jesus, it’s only because they haven’t seen You that they aren’t peaceful and content. Give them the incredible refreshment of a supernatural encounter – a vision – a touch from You – in a format that’s unique to them individually so that they know it’s You -- unmistakeable proof that Your Spirit is above, below, in front of, behind, alongside, and within, all those who call upon Your holy Name. Most of all, Lord, help all of us to be watching for You, now and forever. (Mark 13:37)

No comments: