Thursday, February 09, 2006

FOR THE LOVE OF THE IRISH

Thanks to the Irish Heritage Newsletter and Pat Connors, here’s what you can say to your love in Irish on Valentine’s Day. You might want to avoid the milk cow one, though; it might get lost in translation:


Grá (graw) - Love

A ghrá (Ah hraw) - My love/My dear

A stóirín (Ah store-reen) - Darling!

Mo mhuirnín (Muh whurneen/vurneen) - My sweetheart

Póg mé! (Pogue may) - Kiss me!

Tóg mé, tá mé leatsa (Toag may, taw may latsah) - Take me, I'm yours!

Mo chupcáca (Muh hup-caw-cah) - My cupcake

Is é cinniúint é! (Shay kinn-noo-int ay) - It's kismet!

Mo ghrá thú (Muh hraw hoo) - I love you.

Thitim mé i ngrá leat (Hittim may ih nraw lat) - I fell in love with you.

Is tusa an grá mo chroí (Iss tussah ahn graw muh hree) - You are the love of my heart!

Táim i ngrá leatsa (Tah-im ih nraw latsah) - I'm in love with you.

Táim i bpian an ghrá (Tah-im ih beh-in ahn raw) - I'm lovesick

Barróga agus póga (Bahrogue-ah ahguss pogue-ah) - Hugs and kisses!

Tá siad ag seinm ár n-amhráin grá (taw shee-ad a shen-um awhr nahrawngraw) - They're playing our song.

(Connemara: pickup line) B'fhearr liom thú nó céad bó bhainne!
(Barr lum hoo no cayd bow wahn-nyah) - I prefer you to a hundred milk cows!

Lá Naomh Vailintín Shona Dhuit (Law neev val-in-teen hunna gwitch) - Happy Valentine's Day!

No comments: