Tuesday, February 07, 2006

A CHEAPSKATE PROPOSAL

They were studying the letter “D” in kindergarten, and I was making them guess words that start with “D” with a simple little game of Charades.

I bent over backwards and opened my mouth wide, pretended that something was boring into my mouth with loud sound effects, and then paused to pretend-spit over to the side. That tipped them off. “Dentist!” they shouted.

I said I was going into Krispy Kreme and then play-acted that I was eating something circular with a hole inside that was really sweet and delicious. “Doughnut!”

The next one, they couldn’t get. I said, “This is what Mr. Williams gave me when he asked me to marry him.” They were silent. “It’s something I have with me every day of my life.” Still slack-jawed, frowning and mute. “It’s really special, shiny and sparkly, and it starts with a ‘D.’”

“I know! I know!” a little boy shouted. “A DIME!!!”

No comments: