Sunday, January 01, 2006

FELIZ!

(F)or the joy of the Lord is your strength.
-- Nehemiah 8:10c

When Christians have a big problem that goes on and on, we’re not supposed to strike back, cuss, kick the dog or stick pins in voodoo dolls. Hit men are out. Nunchucks, verboten.

All we can do is pray.

To the outsider, it must seem as if the Christian lifestyle sucks. It’s too hard! It’s no fun! The bad guys are winning!

Ah, but then you have moments like mine, right before Christmas – moments that thrill you with the indisputable truth that there’s an all-powerful, all-knowing, all-loving God. And He’s on your side, and He’s got your back.

That’s the joy of Christmas. That’s the good news we celebrate all year long.

Just as He did that night in Bethlehem, the living God comes to us and abides with us. He comforts us and saves us, day by day. And He does it in exquisitely personal detail.

Just ask for His help . . . and prepare to be amazed.

Now, I’ve been grappling for years with a complicated problem. I’ve nagged about it to God frequently, with repeated pleas and “suggestions” for what He should do to fix things, chop chop.

When He sees my prayer emails coming onto His supernatural screen – “You’ve got mail! It’s that pest from Omaha again” -- I’m sure He sighs, and deletes it: prayer spam.

I mean, He’s the living God, Author of the universe, the One Who perfectly engineers every circumstance. You think He’s stumped on how to help me? You think He FORGOT?

I knew He has His reasons for letting things drag on. It has to be this way. But it’s been hard, waiting.

Then, a couple of days before Christmas, I got a phone call with some stunning good news. There’s been a breakthrough in this longtime problem! Typical of God, it’s a change I never would have imagined, and it would do everybody involved some good.

Elated, I jumped into my car to do errands, thinking back over all the hurts, and musing that they might end. Immediately, bitter doubts flooded my mind. Naw. Can’t be. It’ll fall through. I’ll be in this torture chamber the rest of my life.

Just then, a pristine white car changed lanes right in front of me. My eyes locked onto its license plate:

FELIZ II

My hands clutched the wheel. Our Christmas card this year featured our dog Sunny in a sombrero, with a play on words: “Feliz Navidog.”

Feliz: celebrate!

It’s a long story, but “Two” or “Two Two” are my nicknames, for “Sue” or “SuSu.”

Celebrate, Sue!

Suddenly, I realized that on the radio at that moment was “Feliz Navidad,” the song I put on our electronic Christmas card to go with the funny dog picture.

I gasped. God! How do You DO that? Tears flowed. I sang along at the top of my lungs.

The white car sped away. At the next intersection was a big, white truck. My eyes were powerfully locked as by an outside force onto its sign:

PAUL DAVIS DAMAGE RESTORATION

Damage restoration? As in, the damage to ME . . . was going to get fixed?

Feliz, Sue!

Celebrate!

Oh, for heaven’s sake. Get a grip. You’re reading too much into this.

I continued to my destination 100 blocks away, got out of my car, and started for the building. But parked right in front was a gold PT Cruiser . . . from the same company:

PAUL DAVIS DAMAGE RESTORATION

In case I missed it the first time. . . .

Celebrate, Sue! I’m going to make it up to you!

I came and saved you at Bethlehem, and at Calgary, and now I’m going to do it again.

Now, let’s see some Christmas cheer, Kid! Feliz!

Laughing, sobbing, I realized that I’d forgotten to use the strongest defense in the universe: the joy that comes from the hope that comes from faith.

I broke out in a smile. Finally! That’s how you win. That’s what He wanted to see all along.

Feliz to the world . . . the Lord has come! And oh, the wonders of His love.

--------------------------

Please visit
www.DailySusan.com to see the family Christmas e-card mentioned in this story. Feel free to send in your prayer requests through the website. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!


1/1/06 • Radiant Beams • Copyright 2006 • Susan Darst Williams,
www.DailySusan.com, is a writer, wife and mother of four who lives at the base of Mount Laundry, Nebraska. Visit her website for lifestyle features and entertainment aimed at the heart of the home.

No comments: