Saturday, October 01, 2005

GRANNY ROCK

She’s a loving grandmother, and she has bought countless boxes of Girl Scout cookies, magazine subscriptions, candy bars, giftwrap . . . you know the drill. Adorable grandchild asks, and adoring grandparent says, “Of course, dear.”

Well, now that they’re older, the principle’s the same, but the product being supported is a little different. Our friends in the Kansas City area found themselves purchasing tickets to an all-day, all-night rock concert in which their grandson, a high-school junior, was playing. They would get an eyeful of scary Goth attire, orange hair, pierced everythings, and bras being tossed around by the crowd like a beach ball at a baseball game.

“Thank God he has already lettered in golf and swimming and has no earrings or piercings, or I probably would be a tad queasy,” the grandmother wrote.

“Truly, I would really rather swim up the river to Lawrence to do absolutely nothing -- but I plan to stick some ear plugs in my bag and hopefully, find my way out of the theater as soon as he is done.

“So, is this is a "What I Did For Love" thing?? NO DOUBT!!!!!!!!!!!

“My hearing is already giving me problems, so I can at last blame it on something besides old age!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!”

------------------------------------------------

Prayer request: Father, I need an invisible cork in my mouth today for all utterances that would not be absolutely pleasant and clearly understood. I need to keep my opinions to myself today. Make my speech short but sweet, and my attitude sparkly, to be a better representative for You. (Proverbs 13:16 )

No comments: