Wednesday, October 26, 2005

GET OFF MY BACK

Our 5-year-old slumped back on our heavy iron kitchen barstool while savoring her pb&j, and got her right arm stuck between the slats. She panicked, and pulled left, then right, and found herself even more stuck, so she wailed for me.

By the time I got there, Maddy had changed positions so the angle was off kilter, and my attempts to free her by pulling on her arm or pushing it from behind yielded yelps of fear and pain.

That’s when the practical mind of the 5-year-old surfaced. Through her tears, Maddy cried, “I’ll just have to walk around all day with this on my back.”

We couldn’t have that! It weighs as much as she does!

Luckily, a pull upward freed the arm . . . and her fears of spending the rest of her life as a hunchback were laid to rest.

No comments: