Monday, October 24, 2005

SOUND IT OUT, BUT NOT THAT FAR OUT

Becoming a reader is Job One for kindergartner Maddy. So when I read stories to her every night, I try to get her to read some of the words and sound out the ones that are unfamiliar.

Now, I know little kids know more words than they can read. But things went quite a bit too far last night when she sounded out the word “she” and I asked her what OTHER word was within that same word.

Of course, I was shooting for “he.” But she looked at the word, knew I always harp on sounding words out, thought the word I had in mind must have the “sh” sound in it, and sounded out:

“Sh . . . sh . . . SHI***?!?!?!”

Ohhhh, that DARN day care, where they pick up words like that. . . .

Sh . . . sh . . . SURE they do.

------------------------------------------------

PRAYER REQUESTS: I’ve dedicated a new blog just for prayer requests, updates, and praise reports that come my way. They’re on the Looking Up Prayer Line blog over at the right on my website,
www.DailySusan.com Please keep sending your prayer needs and I’ll post them at least once a day on the site.

No comments: