Monday, December 27, 2004

LE BUST DE NOEL

The guests just left after a baby shower and luncheon at our house. My neighbor Sharon and I and the seven daughters we have between us put it on for our dear friend and neighbor, Jessie Runty Sievers, and her six-week-old Christmas angel, Jaci Jean.

Sharon and I made a good team: she borrowed the glass cup trays and I borrowed Mom’s linen napkins. She made the salad and the muffins and I made the chicken artichoke casserole. She brought the hazelnut coffee and I made my famous peach tea.

She and her girls tied the silverware inside the folded napkins with pink pinpoint ribbon secured by a pink diaper pin. I and my girls set up two tables for 10 with pink roses, greenery, baby pretties, and a real conversation-starter centerpiece – a ‘’diaper cake’’ made by my mom some 25 years ago for long-forgotten baby shower. She literally rolled up white cloth diapers in the shape of a layer cake and pinned on bows and silk flowers. Tiny baby socks were balled up to look like sweetheart roses on top. It was cuteness plus.

Everything was going smoothly until I decided to walk the real cake around to show the ladies how pretty it was. It was an authentic French ‘’buche de Noel,’’ a Yule log cake. My eldest daughter works at a French restaurant on her college breaks, and they made it for me. The dark fudge frosting was striated just like tree bark; lighter chocolate on the ‘’limbs’’ looked just like fresh-cut wood. Inside was a spiral cake with real whipping cream. We’re talking beaucoup deluxe.

Well, I had it on a crystal cake plate on a doily, and had just turned from the table to cut it and serve it, when I bumped something and the cake slid ominously to the left. The table full of ladies gasped! But luckily, I’m what they call ‘’stacked’’ . . . and my bust kept it from sliding off onto somebody’s lap or the floor.

My co-hostess quipped: ‘’Bust de Noel!!!’’

It was a beautiful party, and lots of fun. But I guarantee you, that’s all anyone will remember from the whole thing.

-------------------------

Prayer request: On a sad note, we are mourning two people today. One is the 20-year-old son of a dear friend’s friend, killed in a car wreck. Send peace and comfort, Lord, to Connor’s family, especially his twin brother. The other was my father-in-law’s childhood best friend, Larry Donarico, a former Omahan now of San Diego. He fought his cancer as best he could, but it was very advanced when it was discovered. Lord, send Your peace to his family and friends as well. These two souls lived abundant lives and will be remembered with love. (John 10:10)


No comments: