Wednesday, December 29, 2004

JUST WHEN YOU THINK THEY’RE GETTING CIVILIZED

We were driving along and I was rejoicing because Maddy, 4 1/2, had gone to the library, the drugstore, the grocery store and the post office without a single tantrum or difficulty.

Not only that, but when I turned on the radio, there was a talk show on my favorite Christian music station, so I searched up and down the FM dial for some music. Maddy didn’t like the soft rock, nor the country-western . . . but when it got to a very high falutin’ classical station with an orchestra playing something formal and snazzy by Beethoven, she asked me to stop.

‘’Wow!’’ I thought to myself. ‘’She’s growing up! She’s come a long way from the ‘Barney’ theme song.’’

After a few blocks, though, I looked in my rear-view mirror. Her tongue was slashing wildly from one corner of her mouth to the other, then up and down, then twisting in madcap fashion.

‘’Maddy! WHAT are you DOING?’’

‘’Tongue dancing!’’

Oh, of course! Like on PBS. . . .

-------------------------

Prayer request: We lift our hearts in prayer for the tsunami victims in South Asia. Lord, may there be an even bigger wave of help, money and love from the Christian community. May our response flood their hearts with the love of Jesus, and bring them to safe, dry, higher ground with You. Help us to witness that even in great calamity, Jehovah-shammah – God is there. (Ezekiel 48:35)

No comments: