Friday, June 18, 2004

S.D. the D.S.

I suggested that girls don’t have nicknames as frequently as boys do. Boy, did I get hammered for that . . . especially by females who went to all-girls’ schools.

One of them asserted that her group handed out nicknames like Army gear. If you didn’t have one when you met one of them, you had one within the hour.

Here are some of the ones she remembers for girls: Bong, Bony Legs, Melvin, Kenny, Ralph, Moo, Sandy, Booda and Boots.

I guess I do remember one more good girl nickname from my salad days: a wonderful girlfriend whose last name was Roberts. She was, as a matter of course, dubbed ‘’Bobs.’’ She grew up to be an attorney and educator.

It’s pretty funny to run into these distinguished women, at the top of their game, and call them a pet name which, if they’re lucky, they haven’t heard for decades.

Which reminds me of one of my very own. I’d forgotten this -- not surprisingly. My initials in high school were ‘’S.D.’’ The wiseacres I worked with and supposedly bossed on the high-school newspaper instantly changed that to ‘’S.D. the D.S.’’

You can figure it out. I finally did.

--------------------------

Prayer request: A good friend of a good friend had to have an angioplasty early this morning after many weeks of less-than-good health. Oh, Father, thank You for Your servants, the smart medical team surrounding Karen. Thank You for the wonders of advancing technology that are helping her today. Let the results be clear and the solution simple, successful and quick, we pray in Jesus’ name. (Luke 12:37)

No comments: