Friday, June 25, 2004

BLUE ZINGERS

I’m going to get some blue stationery. Then I can follow the lead of the late Bob “Bull” Bullock, my new hero. He used to fire off blunt, snappy memos on blue paper that made people shake in their boots. They called them ‘’blue zingers.’’

Maybe that would get my kids to clean their rooms. It’s worth a shot.

Bullock was lieutenant governor of Texas and longtime comptroller of that huge state government. He also served in the Texas House of Representatives, was assistant attorney general and secretary of state.

He’s not my hero because of his career. I have no political aspirations. I just wish I could talk as straight as Bull Bullock. He was a graduate of Baylor University, where our daughter Neely goes. He donated his papers to Baylor for a special archive. A university publication shares some classic Bullock quotes:

‘’It’s no coincidence that a 16-foot woman with a sword stands atop the Texas Capitol. I’ve never doubted the message, and neither should any other man.’’ (in remarks to the Austin Women’s Political Caucus, 1992)

‘’I’m going next week to get my teeth cleaned and my eyes checked. That means I will be ready to chew someone out or look over their shoulder depending on what is needed.’’ (before the 71st session, Dallas Morning News, Jan. 9, 1999)

‘’All candidates for public office -- new or used -- ought to have to take truth serum before they get up to make a political speech and ought to have to take a lie detector test when they’re through.’’ (Texas Weekly, March 24, 1986)

--------------------------

Prayer request: Praise and thanksgiving in follow-up to a recent prayer request. Our high school friend Amanda was indeed elected president of Student Council. It is one of the most active and influential student leadership groups in the state. She is a strong Christian and a tremendous role model. Oh, Father, thank You for rewarding her faithfulness and giving her this opportunity to serve You and her fellow students. (Isaiah 55:4)

No comments: