Monday, June 14, 2004

CAPTURE THE FLAG

Happy Flag Day! Our neighbors erected a new flagpole in front of their house. On the first day, they displayed the American flag at half-mast because of the death of President Reagan.

I’ve always wanted a flagpole. We had a wall-hung one out front, but the wind whipped the flag so much it practically pulled it out by the roots. So over the past few years, on certain days and for a long time after 9/11, we’ve hung our flag from the high roof of our porch. It hangs down sideways and anybody over age 12 has to duck their head to walk under it.

I have a thing about the flag. I love it, and go bananas when I see one that’s tattered, faded or dirty. The one outside our kids’ old grade school was like that for months. I complained a few times, and finally, it was replaced. I wished I’d just gone out and bought one.

Years ago, I was driving through a city park late at night when I spotted an American flag on a stick, stuck into the dirt next to the dark roadside, tattered and dirty. It so happens that at the same moment, a John Denver song about a soaring eagle was on my car radio:

“And all those who see me, and all who believe in me, share in the freedom I feel when I fly!”

I couldn’t just pass by that symbol of our freedom, forlorn and forgotten by the roadside – somebody’s idea of a joke, I guess, or a really cowardly flag desecration. I braked my car, got out, picked up that flag, and disposed of it properly.

Would that all the assaults on what America stands for could be handled that easily. It was only a tiny gesture . . . but it was something I could do.

--------------------------

Prayer request: A neigbbor’s friend just had a baby, but has been diagnosed with a rare form of ovarian cancer, and probably won’t live. Oh, Father, grant a peaceful, painless passing for Angie, and help her husband Jimmy find a nanny quickly for their children, ages 5, 3 and infant. We don’t understand how a tragedy like this works into Your perfect plan, but we accept that You know best and all will be well. (James 1:3)

No comments: