Tuesday, April 26, 2005

SHE GUMPED ME

Maddy is only 5 but she can already count to 10 in four languages: English, Spanish, French . . . and Gump.

She has discovered that noise you can make with your mouth closed when you push a bubble of air upward with your tongue. It makes a guttural noise – kind of a “gump.”

Well, last night at bedtime, she was making me guess what she was saying in Gump syllables. “I love my tiger” wasn’t hard because she was holding her stuffed animal and giving me lots of eyebrow clues. “I love you!” was really easy.

But then she stumped me: “Gump gump gump gump gump gump!”

Hunh? What sweet sentiment was she trying to impart?

“Gump gump gump gump gump GUMP!!!”

Whaaa? “I love Daddy upSTAIRS”? “I hope you have sweet DREAMS”?

She collapsed in hilarity. Noooooo:

“I am picking my NOSE!!!”

In bridge, you get trumped. In motherhood, you get . . . Gumped.

------------------------------

Prayer request: A young man who was suffering and in jeopardy because of an untreated mental illness has returned home to Omaha from the Pacific Northwest, accompanied by his brother, and is speaking positively about resuming his medication. We praise You and thank You, Father, for hearing our prayers for David, and sending mature Christians into his path to help steer him toward the help he needs. Bring him all the way home now, Father – into new Christian birth, and a full and wonderful relationship with You, setting a marvelous example for his family and friends to follow. (Romans 5:3,4)

No comments: