Thursday, April 07, 2005

REMEDIAL STIR-FRY

The other day at the grocery store, I grabbed a “Complete Skillet Meal” to make Chicken Teriyaki. It was a nice, big sack. I figured it contained lots of healthy stir-fry vegetables, ready to go.

I was in a rush, and knew I had some chicken in the freezer, so a “skillet meal” sounded perfect. However, I was planning to use my wok. That’s because I like to torture my family with wok jokes: “Take a wok on the wild side,” “I’m gonna wok around the clock tonight. . . .”

I defrosted the chicken, cut some up, and started the rice. Then I opened the stir-fry package. What was this? Inside was a packet of pre-cooked chicken, and a packet of rice. I had just doubled up on two of the main ingredients! How “convenient” was that?

“I didn’t know they were in there!” I protested to my hooting, skeptical family.

My daughter grabbed the sack, and pointed with gusto to the not one, not two, but FOUR prominent places, plus the color picture, that made it clear that the chicken was included, and so was the rice. And that was just the FRONT of the sack.

Hey! When your schedule is so hectic your brains are stir-fried, it’s not always conVENient to read the packaging instructions. At least, that’s my story and I’m sticking to it – non-stick wok and all.

-----------------------------


Prayer request: Eden has the ACT college admissions test this Saturday. But she has been battling a post-Prom sore throat and flu symptoms from getting overtired last weekend. Oh, Lord, send rest and healing her way so that she can be in tip-top shape for this important exam. (Matthew 7:7)

No comments: