Monday, April 11, 2005

BOOLA BOOLA GETS A MAKEOVER

I’m so old, my kids think I rode a dinosaur to school. They think I wore a Pilgrim’s outfit to the Prom, which they take to have been a combination square dance and barn-raisin’. Or maybe I wore a raccoon coat, strummed a ukulele and climbed flagpoles to swallow goldfish. My youth, you see, was before they had microscopes and discovered salmonella.

Actually, it’s true: I am so old and out of it, I never know what the cool teenage jargon is any more. But daughter Eden took pity on me. She supplied a new term, which I believe you say when you have accomplished something exemplary, which, believe me, is NOT how the kids talk today:

“Boo ya!”

At first, I thought it was a throwback to the ‘20s song, “Boola Boola.” Nope.

So now I’m swaggering around saying “Boo ya!” – and trying to remember what context is correct for it, and when, in the alternative, one should exclaim “Hoo Hah” or “Woo Hoo.”

It’s confusing. It’s far less stressful to be old and out of it.

-------------------------------

Prayer request: A friend of a friend is struggling today to make sense of something that happened over the weekend. A long-ago love has resurfaced in David’s life, but the circumstances are fishy. He thinks she’s trying to manipulate him, bigtime. Oh, Lord, expose and reveal any motives and activities that are not pure, holy and pleasing to You. Protect David’s heart and lead him to the truth. (Isaiah 2:3)

No comments: