Saturday, January 08, 2005

IGNOMINY-LUXURY FLIP-FLOP

It was our 27th wedding anniversary. I got to sleep late, and spent a happy morning at the computer writing, with Maddy ensconced at preschool.

In the afternoon, I went to the fanciest beauty shop in town for my first pedicure, a Christmas gift from my mom. That was the good news. The BAD news is, with cotton between my beautified toes and my pudgy, white feet in the world’s cheapest plastic flip-flops, I was informed that I could not put my socks and shoes back on for at least an hour, ‘til the toenail polish dried.

So I had to toddle out to my car all the way across the slushy parking lot in bare feet and cheap plastic flip-flops.

Oh, the ignominy.

But then my beloved came home with a huge spray of wed, wed woses . . . and there was another rose at our table at the fabulous French restaurant, Le Voltaire, where my beloved’s parents treated us for the evening. Our daughter Jordan works there on her college breaks, anyway, so it was a delight to have her as our waitress.

The manager went all out planning and preparing the most elegant meal imaginable: six courses . . . a different delicately-flavored wine with every course . . . rich hors d’oeuvres . . . creamy, dreamy onion soup . . . blackened salmon with petite bok choy; the latter used to be my favorite swear word but not any more . . . buttery sliced lamb with spicy potato casserole . . . the second-to-last course was salad with fabulous cheeses to cleanse the palate; how posh! . . . and finally, a dessert built on Bananas Foster and stupendously sensual dark-chocolate cake with whipped cream, ice cream, and festive dots of raspberry sauce. . . .

Oh, the luxury!

If only marriage had a few more moments that were like that dinner, and a few less that are like that barefoot dash across the slushy parking lot. On the other hand, it’s the up’s and down’s that make a good ride.

-------------------

Prayer request: It’s a weekend of transitions, Father. Safely guide our daughters back to college, and bless the last playdate of our youngest with her best friend Cissa, who is moving to the Twin Cities. Be there as a comfort and a reassurance in the partings as You always are, and bless friendships new and old. (2 Thessalonians 2:17)

No comments: