Tuesday, January 04, 2005

ELMER FUDDETTE

My story Sunday about my husband’s new hunting hobby brought a couple of anecdotes from the “setters” saying the “pointers” aren’t the only ones in the forest and far afield. Heigh ho, the dai-wy oh, the wadies are out there, too.

Most love hunting, but one recalled the time her husband took her with him, and it ended like Hansel and Gretel without the breadcrumbs. “I have no sense of direction,” she wrote, “and the straight line I was supposed to be walking turned into a circuitous route. I found myself hopelessly lost in deep woods – the kind where they find huge, aged antlers and bones in the brush in the spring.

“I stood up on a tall stump and hollered for my life. I was answered. What relief! ‘Where are you?’ I yelled. ‘West, Stupid!’ came the reply. ‘Where's west?’ . . . Well, you can be sure that any deer for miles around were l o n g gone, and the gun that weighed about eight pounds when we started in felt more like 30 pounds when I finally walked out. Never again.”

Bet you a . . . buck . . . the “deer” one means it, too.

---------------
Prayer request: Oh, Lord, You know exactly where that important manila folder with my friend’s important financial papers is located. It isn’t where it’s supposed to be. But Father, if it be Your will, we pray that you’ll reveal it to her ASAP so she can carry on with her important meeting this Friday. She’s going bonkers! She depends on You utterly, for everything. Help her find it, Lord! (1 Peter 5:7)


No comments: