Tuesday, January 11, 2005

THE DOOHICKEY ON THE JOBBIE

When my husband set up our first home computer and printer. I was at home with little babies, trying to do some free-lance writing and PR. I spent all weekend emptying a Brach’s candy bag learning to use these new machines. It worked slick: after you ate all the candy you could HYPERVENTILATE in the bag!

Anyway, he had left for work when I tried to get an agenda printed out for a meeting I had scheduled for 9 a.m. From the upstairs bedroom window where my puny office was located, I could see the clients drive up, get out of their cars, and come up the walk . . . while I was fumbling around trying to get the printer to work. It wouldn’t even come on. I was on the phone with my husband and he was trying to trouble-shoot it, when they rang the doorbell. I was stressing out with no agendas in hand.

My lips were snarling, “You bought me a piece of JUNK!” when suddenly my eyes beheld the problem: the power cord was not plugged in to the wall outlet. MINOR DETAILS! But I had my pride. I sniffed haughtily, “Oh, I’ll figure it out mySELF, SOMEhow!” and hung up. I printed out the agendas in nothing flat. Didn’t tell him for a long, long time: discretion is a lady’s prerogative. Or something like that.

But I’m coming clean now, for a friend revealed her technical incompetence the other day. Here’s her true confession:

She emailed her young-adult son to complain that her Palm Pilot would not turn on. It was on the charger. He wrote back, "Mom, is it plugged in?" She replied, "I assume so; why would anyone UNplug it?" He said to check it, and let him know. Here’s her eventual reply:

“The little dealy-bob with the one-hole plug from the adapter jobbie was not connected to the doohickey -- you are GOOD! I am HotSync-ing now!”

You can HotSync . . . if you defrost your brain.

-------------------

Prayer request: Health and breath for little Gus, who might have Respiratory Synctial Virus (RSV) disease, a serious diagnosis which can be life-threatening for a little guy. Give his parents something to rejoice about, with his quick recovery, Father God. (Psalm 107:8)

No comments: