Saturday, June 24, 2006

COLLEGE WORLD SERIES HIJINKS

We’re going to the finals of the College World Series tonight, North Carolina vs. Oregon State. We’re wearing Carolina blue: big fans. It’s the first time our eldest, Jordan, a University of North Carolina graduate, has missed the Omaha-based national baseball championship in her entire life. Where is she? In her new home – North Carolina. She’s beside herself to be missing this year of all years, with her team in the finals.

She wasn’t even 1 her first CWS game. I remember it distinctly, because a very nice, very dark-skinned African-American gentleman sat right behind us. Jordy spent the entire game over my shoulder, GAPING at the poor guy’s skin with surprise and delight. It was a blast of diversity for the playpen set. What a great sport he was, laughing over her funny expressions.

I was just as good a sport during last year’s series, although I was not in control of my behavior, so can’t really take credit. I was on MORPHINE LA-LA LAND, big-time, in a suburban Minneapolis hospital. We were visiting friends up there, and missing Nebraska’s CWS game. I was watching it on TV downstairs in their home, but went upstairs for some water. I heard a big roar from the crowd – did we score? -- so I rushed down the stairs in my slick sandals to see what happened. Key word: “rushed.” I made like a trick skier in the Olympics . . . triple gainer, double pike . . . and landed with a WHOMP! on my side. Punctured a lung, cracked a rib . . . but ohhhhhh, was that morphine delightful.

So far, this year’s series has been peaceful, pleasant and quiet. But with baseball, as with life, anything can happen.

No comments: