Thursday, October 14, 2004

EMBERS-ASSING MOMENT

I was enthusiastic about getting a pretty new gas log in our living room fireplace, just in time for our college daughters’ visits home with friends from North Carolina and Texas. I knew they were going to think temperatures in the 40s and 50s here were blizzard-like conditions. So a homey fire in the fireplace seemed just right.

But I had a hard time getting a hold of the company to set up the appointment. My calls weren’t returned, and when I went there in person, they were closed when the sign said they should have been open. This is their busy season, so I understood.

Finally, I got through on the phone. I couldn’t help myself. I said, ‘’Come on, Baby, light my fire!’’

There was a long pause. I’m sure the receptionist imagined me in a Sonny Bono haircut, with love beads and paisley bell-bottoms. My cheeks were flaming.

Finally, though, thank goodness, she laughed.

The guy came out yesterday, and the new log is just beautiful. Before he left, he threw a bunch of little gray blobs in. Turns out they are the fake embers that go with the fake logs.

Fake embers: think of how that would sound at a party, if somebody asked you what you did for a living, and that’s what you made.

Then he gave me a little sack of powdery stuff labeled “Crackling Material.” You throw a little handful onto your fake fire, and you get the crackling sound effect of a real fire.

This is the age of specialization, indeed.

--------------------------

Prayer request: We pray today for the swift recovery of an old hand, who had hand surgery. Lord, put your Hand on Rich and make sure he’s a good boy for his nurse/wife and doesn’t try to do too much too soon. Give her patience throughout the recovery, and joy in being needed so much by the one she loves. And let’s give the medical folks a hand, too: oh, the marvels of the human body and the many ways it can go haywire, and yet still be repaired. Lord, it’s wonderful to know You’ve got the whole world in Your Hands. (John 10:9)

No comments: