Tuesday, June 28, 2005

THE KU KLUTZ KLAN

Reports keep coming in of ways that other people have done themselves accidental bodily harm. Although of course I feel sorry for them, it also secretly makes me feel a little better that I’m not the ONLY klutz.

One fellow was engaged in horseplay with a larger friend, who tackled him, and knocked his breath away. But he went home and went to bed, and then played 18 holes of golf the next day – getting only about one-fourth his usual distance with each stroke. He finally went to the doctor and found out he had three cracked ribs.

An elderly friend confides that she was getting up from the “watercloset,” felt a little dizzy, fell back down, and struck the old-fashioned handle that stuck out from the side. She went to a dinner that night and couldn’t lean back in her chair. Finally, she sought a doctor’s advice: the Attack of the Killer Toilet Tank gave her a cracked rib.

Then there was the midlife crisis fellow I know who just HAD to get himself a Harley-Davidson motorcycle. The same weekend I had my ill-fated foray into Minnesota indoor downhill skiing, he skidded on some gravel in Iowa, and shattered his ankle in several places.

And, waiting for my prescription to be filled, I ran into an old friend whose husband had played in a charity golf event that morning. His crazy-driver golf buddy was driving the car too fast. It started to tip over. My friend stuck his hand out in a goofy attempt to right the golf cart . . . and shattered his wrist in five places, will need surgery, has a long recovery ahead of him, etc. etc.

We all sing the Cingular dum-dum song: Doot doo! Doot doot doooo!!!

----------------------------


Prayer request: Lord, thank You for sending people to help me get through this recovery; their love and advice is most appreciated. Help me and my fellow “patients” who are struggling with pain and injuries right now to be a lot more “patient,” get more rest, and spend more precious quiet time with You. I read the Bible, prayed, and then took a two-hour nap yesterday. It did me a world of good, Lord. Help me adopt a slower, richer, more deliberate pace of life, which is so much healthier – and safer! (Proverbs 4:26)

No comments: