Monday, June 27, 2005

AND THEY SAY THE SUPER BOWL'S NEVER EXCITING

I’m glad I wrote about my punctured lung and fractured ribs caused by rushing downstairs to catch a TV replay of a college baseball play. Several people have written me consolation notes describing ways that THEY have hurt themselves in similar dignified fashion.

My favorite is from a fun gal who was at a big Super Bowl watch party at the home of her brother-in-law. It made me happy to realize that at LEAST nobody saw my spectacular and goofy fall, and nobody got it on videotape, thank goodness. She tells her story this way:

“I took a rather quick trip down his stairs, but I landed on my tummy with my right foot pointing straight back. Unfortunately, your foot is not supposed to point straight back. I lay there for about 10 minutes and concentrated on not throwing up, it hurt so bad!

“My husband had the good sense to take off my running shoe. If he had not, we would have had to cut it off. (The shoe, not my foot!)

“After x-rays, it was determined that a tendon the goes between my big toe and the next toe had torn loose and taken the piece of bone it was attached to with it. Would you believe when they took the first cast off after a month, you could see exactly where the tendon went up my leg, by following the black and blue marks?

“So when I say I feel your pain, I REALLY feel your pain. It was downright embarrassing to do something so clumsy in front of everyone I know! And they still give me grief about it.”

Well, I don’t. Solidarity, my comrade in the . . . Ku Klutz Klan!

---------------------------------

Prayer request: A young friend of ours, Jon, is home after military service in Iraq, and another special young man, Mark, is about to enter the Air Force. Father, we thank You for these brave and smart young men who are so willing to give of themselves for others. Keep them in Your special care and protection, and bring people into their lives who will help them develop themselves to be even more special. (Psalm 32:8)

No comments: