Monday, May 02, 2005

ALOHA . . . OY!

In a fit of energy and frugality, I had a mountain of mulch dumped on our driveway last week. I ordered 25 cubic yards of primeau shredded hardwood to be lovingly spread on our garden areas to make them the best-dressed in town.

I forgot the one thing about mulch: it doesn’t just JUMP to where you want it to go. You have to PUT it there! Ohhh, my achin’ back.

Job One was to weed under our beautiful but sprawling Japanese snow crab tree, and then pile the mulch on thick underneath. The tree is in full blossom right now. You know how low to the ground crab trees are: I had to hunch over and crawl under there with bucket after bucket of mulch, kind of like Snow White’s dwarves lugging sacks of coal up out of the mine. Yeah, Grumpy: that was me.

Every time I’d back out for another load, I’d get little sprigs of white blossoms tangled up in my hair.

Since it was in the 40s and I had on my oldest gardening duds, with dirt smudges on my cheeks and my nails worn down to the nubbin, I looked like the Hawaiian hula dancer from hell.

I don’t think Hawaii’s tourist bureau is going to call me to pose for brochure photos any time soon. But that’s OK: I fully expect “Mulch Magazine” to call any minute – and make me their centerfold.

------------------------


Prayer request: Our daughter Eden has wrenched her back and is in quite a lot of pain today. Heal her quickly and help her focus on her studies and not miss a beat in softball, Lord. She loves You and claims You as her Protector. Let her know that You are the God who will . . . watch her back. (Psalm 91:14)

No comments: