Tuesday, May 18, 2004

ABS-OLUTELY

I did nine hours of yard work on Saturday. I was digging, bending, pulling, pushing, raking, scattering, lifting, kneeling and just about every other –ing you can name.

One of the most physical tasks was trimming trees. I used what I call “the loppers.” I suppose they’re just long-handled pruning shears.

They work great, but there’s some weight to them. When you hold them overhead and take a moment to position them correctly on the branch you’re cutting, it takes some muscle power. Then when you have to hold that weight straight up in the air while spreading your hands about as far apart as you can to get a good “do” when you cut. . . .

Maybe they ought to have the Husker football players trimming trees on campus for their weight-training regimen this summer, and save the university big bucks on new equipment for that glamorous new weight room to boot.

That evening, I happened to look in the mirror as I was putting on my jammies and I swear . . . I HAD SIX-PACK ABS!!!!!

They’re gone already. But it was fun while it lasted.

--------------------------

Prayer request: A good friend’s nephew has donated a kidney, and she is so proud of him and full of love. His name is Chris. We pray for a flawless recovery and lifetime protection for his remaining kidney. In addition, this friend’s son Thomas is playing in the state soccer finals tonight. Lord, protect him from injury and let him have the time of his life! (Matthew 5:42)

No comments: