Friday, July 07, 2006

THE WINCH AND THE WENCH

Our driveway looked like a three-ring circus of machinery, as my husband had hooked 1) our broken-down lawn tractor onto 2) our ATV’s winch to pull it up the ramp onto 3) our trailer attached to 4) our pickup truck.

My job was to sit in the ATV and run the remote control for the winch, which was supposed to pull the tractor right up the ramp onto the trailer. All I had to do, literally, was lift a finger.

But twice in a row, mysteriously, when I operated the winch, it just pulled ME in the ATV toward the TRACTOR.

Actually, it was good for my self-esteem: maybe I’m not so heavy after all. . . .

My husband adjusted this, and tried that. Finally, he asked in afterthought, “You DO have your FOOT on the brake, DON’T you?!?!?!”

Oops. I acted nonchalant. But once I made that little change, the ATV stayed braced, and the winch pulled the tractor right up the ramp as fine as you please.

He knew . . . he just KNEW . . . that he’d better not say anything . . . be a mensch, not a grinch, and don’t make your wench flinch while running a winch. . . .

No comments: