Monday, July 17, 2006

NO S'S IN A WINK

We just got back from a family vacation, where the fun included shopping at the Mall of America in Minneapolis. We stopped at the food court for a quick meal. I stepped up to place our order.

The clerk repeated everything I said as he punched it into the computer. He had a lisp.

“Cheeseburger, hold the pickles,” I ordered. “Cheethburger, no pickleth” he repeated.

“Side salad with ranch dressing.” “Thide thalad with ranch drething.”

“Chicken fingers” . . . “chicken fingerth.”

“Sierra Mist” . . . “Thierra Mitht.”

This went on and on. Everything we ordered had s’s in it. I was afraid the young man was going to get upset, or think I was making fun of him. I mean, you couldn’t have put more sibilance into words if you tried.

But when the order was complete, he gave me a warm smile and a quick wink. I was so glad: “hold the pickleth, hold the lettuth, thepethial orderth don’t upthet uth. . . .”

No comments: