Tuesday, June 03, 2008


Granite Banan-its

We took our college-age daughter and her friend Jack out to dinner after Maddy’s softball game. I was seeking an explanation from these learned young people about why the heck the bunch of bananas I bought last week never did get ripe. They’re still green, and hard as a rock. I put them in a brown paper sack in the oven and everything.

Jack said, “Well, after all that, you might as well just throw them out.”

From the look on my thrift-driven Scotch-Irish face, he quickly added with a wink:

“Or maybe not. After all, bananas don’t grow on trees.”

--------------------

PRAYER REQUEST: Lord, I am pleading for patience and maturity. It is hard being my age and dealing with little-kid stuff again, for a second round with our “whoopsie daisy” daughter, Maddy. She left her softball bat and glove at the ballfield last night, but we didn’t realize they were missing until 5 minutes before softball camp began this morning. After a mad scurry through the house, the car, the porch, the back yard and a quick drive over to the field, I wound up dropping her off at camp, late, without a glove. I yelled at her for being irresponsible and told her she was grounded for a week. But my tone was one of anger and not loving discipline. Her face showed that she was hurt and sad, instead of learning a good lesson. Now I’m stressed out worrying over her getting hit in the face with a ball. I have a low tolerance for frustration and a quick temper, but I know You made us to grow in peace, perseverance, patience and humility. Thank You for making Yourself so accessible, instantly, at all times. Help me be more like You and less like me. (Proverbs 8:17)

No comments: