Thursday, June 05, 2008


Be Nice!

I was having a terrible, horrible, no good, very bad day. Maybe a nice jolt of store-bought coffee would help. So I pulled in to a drive-through at a specialty coffee hut, and had kind of a long wait at the squawk box. Finally, a 20-something Valley Girl voice came on and I told her I wanted a 20-ounce coffee, plain.

“So that’s 20 ounces? she asked.

“Yes,” I replied, brusquely, my tone implying, “. . . you dummy.”

“Would you like cream in it?”

It was one frustration too many. “NO! PLAIN! BLACK! NOTHING IN IT!” I retorted angrily.

I was frowning as I pulled around to the window to pick it up, when suddenly, I saw a prestige license plate on a car parked right at the corner:

BE NICE

I tipped my head and smiled. Yes, I can sure be nice to the coffee hut girl, instead of going off on her, as I might otherwise have done. So I WAS nice. And she was confused over the beast who had been at the squawk box vs. the beauty who thanked her for the 20-ounce, plain black coffee with a bit of a goofy smile.

Life just goes better when you make everybody else feel that . . . they’re the cream in your coffee.

--------------------

PRAYER REQUEST: Today our dear friend Joan undergoes exploratory surgery, and it’s her son’s birthday. It’ll be a happy birthday indeed, Lord, if the surgery is successful and solves these medical problems once and for all. We pray for wisdom for her medical team and peace for her family and friends. May there be a simple solution to her bowel obstruction and no lingering complications, and may she regain strength and come home in time to enjoy the summer flowers. (John 14:27)

No comments: