Saturday, December 17, 2005

GENTLEMAN CALLER

The phone rang, just once. When it didn’t continue, I figured it was a wrong number.

Maddy, 5, had been playing on the other end of the house. A while later, she wafted into the kitchen and declared, “There was a guy on the phone.”

“A guy?” I reacted. “What guy? Since when do YOU answer the phone?”

“He said, ‘Susan?’ ‘Susan’? And I said, ‘No, it’s Maddy.’”

“And then you hung up?”

“And then I hung up.”

My mind raced between a telemarketer, an ambulance driver, a U.S. senator, or the local police. I hoped and prayed it was a telemarketer.

The phone rang again. This time, I snatched it. Whew! We’re replacing our worn-out stairway and railing, and it was the contractor, still laughing.

“Don’t worry about it; we have six kids. We know,” he said.

I’m hoping next time, it really is a telemarketer. I think they’ve met their match.

--------------------

CHRISTMAS KINDNESS: There’s a neat nonprofit conference center in Colorado run by the Christian group, the Navigators, where people can go for a “pep talk” on all kinds of ways to make life better, or a guided marriage retreat, or a quiet time of contemplation and life examination. It’s called Glen Eyrie. The same organization brings inner-city youth out to nearby Eagle Lake Camp for a life-changing week of Christian fun, fellowship and, for many, their first experience totally immersed in nature. See
www.GlenEyrieGroup.org for more information. Send donations to The Navigators, Glen Eyrie Group, P.O. Box 6000, Colorado Springs, CO 80934.

No comments: