Monday, November 19, 2012

LONG LIVE TWINKIES!

In the wake of all the Hostess Ho-Ho hubbub, I was telling my dear friend about a nutrition speech I once attended. The speaker, a physician, listed the 10 biggest food no-no's. Of course, I was a "perp" in all 10 of them. I think he wanted us to eat nothing but seaweed burgers on kelp bread with a side of crunchy, natural crickets' legs, or some such ickiness.

One of his no-no's did strike home with me, though. It was about the preservatives in many snack foods. Do you REALLY want to put that stuff in your body? He told of cleaning out his garage one day and finding a package of Hostess Twinkies 'way back the corner on a long-forgotten shelf. It had to have been purchased before his nutritional epiphany. By his reckoning, the Twinkies must have been there for more than 20 years. But he could feel through the plastic packaging that the Twinkies were STILL SOFT!


My friend replied drolly, "And his point is . . . .? I'd say that's a pretty spectacular shelf life, the mark of a very good product!!!"

Ewwww! Then again, maybe the company could reinvent itself as a WRINKLE CREAM!!!

1 comment:

Charlene said...

I liked your comment about wrinkle cream. Made me laugh out loud. At least it would taste good.