Monday, March 09, 2009

PINNED TO THE GROUND
BY A FULL BIN OF __________;
A NOT-SO-SUBTLE METAPHOR
FOR CURRENT STOCK MARKET WOES

We're taking care of two horses these days, Teddy and Dora. It has been cold and muddy lately, so a lot of time passed between thorough stall muckings. The other day, my Beloved and I each filled a big trash bin full of damp, heavy you-know-what. Hard work, but therapeutic as well as decorative for all concerned.

Then he had the nerve to go out of town. So I had to push the tremendously heavy bins to the curb for trash day.

With the first bin, I flung my entire body weight against it to tip it enough to roll it to the curb without too much trouble.

But the second bin must've been more full of . . . well, heavier. I gamely flung myself against it, trying to tip it, but my feet slipped. I fell to the ground and the bin came crashing down on top of me.

Pinned! By a container full of . . . you-know-what!

What a predicament. This . . . stinks.

If I pushed it back up, it might tip over and the smelly contents would be strewn all over our driveway.

If I tried to wriggle away, it would fall to the pavement and I'd never get it back upright again without digging a lot of the smelly contents out first.

Finally, with a mighty shove, I did get it to stand back upright, and left it there for my Beloved to maneuver out to the curb, with his superior muscle power.

My knee got a little wrenched, and I might have a little bruise on my right hip, but overall, I was fine.

Though it hurt a lot to see a carload of people pull out of the neighbor's driveway, all heads craned my way, and the telltale signs of moving jaws indicating that they were not only talking about my predicament, but laughing about it!

No comments: