Wednesday, February 04, 2004

PAINTING POOTSIE PURPLE

I’ve been a mother long enough. I should have known better. But I did the unthinkable: I set up the easel, put out some tempera paint for our 3-year-old . . . and then turned my back.

The dishes were fossilizing in the sink; they had to be done. I heard her humming and chattering to herself. I thought she was contentedly painting on the paper with her little pot of red and her little pot of blue.

But ohhhhh, no. She mixed them. Sort of. Then she made handprints. The fingerprints were red and the palms were blue. The rest of the work – a “porky pine,” if you must know – was resplendently purple. Andy Warhol gone Munchkin. At least most of the paint was on the paper.

The REST of it was covering her naked body from the waist up!

That’s right. While I had my back turned, she whisked off her shirt and decorated her jelly-belly purple, and her arms from fingertips to shoulders, up around her neck, and even around back under her waist, like a halter top.

As soon as I turned around, she took off running to “go show Daddy.”

I just wish I had a photo of my face. Now, THAT would be colorful.

This was the same night as the Super Bowl. In fact, during the same halftime show that has decent people up in arms, I was washing purple OFF two arms, monitoring her shower and tsk-tsk’ing about the purple paint splattering on the tile.

So while everybody was fussing about Janet Jackson and what she was exposing, WE had a DOUBLE dose . . . and they were PURPLE, too.

------------------------------------

Prayer Request: Gratitude, Lord, that our friend Russ was not hurt in his ice-related auto accident. It caused a lot of damage to his car, but not a scratch on body or soul. (Psalm 119:117)



No comments: